|Proximity to coast edge
|Visibility above ground
|Highly visible (substantial remains)
|Visibility in section
|easily accessible - no restrictions; accessible on foot (footpath); vehicular access
|is well known; is well visited; has local associations/history
|The lighthouse has been built at the southern end of Hawes Pier and is a six sided sandstone structure, c 10m high. The sandstone is very weathered.
Edit March 2014
A hexagonal lighthouse, standing c.6m high, constructed of sandstone near the southern end of Hawes Pier. A category B listed building since 1971, it was built by the Scottish civil engineer John Rennie in 1812, probably in collaboration with Robert Stevenson of Bell Rock fame, and is contemporary with the pier itself (also a Rennie work). It is a decorative building with arches on each side, and the north and south arches have carved human heads at their tops. Much of the sandstone has been dressed to give it an excessively weathered appearance, with a pock-marked pattern covering the arches and base. This is seemingly deliberate distressing to give it a rusticated or at least a textured appearance, although the structure does show signs of natural weathering.
The lantern, which may date from later in the 19th century, was most likely used primarily as a beacon to guide the ferry which operated between Hawes Pier and North Queensferry before being made redundant by the construction of the Forth Road Bridge in 1964. The lighthouse is no longer in use, and is now largely obscured by later buildings built close by to the north and south. There is a lighthouse which partnered it on the opposite pier in North Queensferry, built by the same architect c.1812.
|The lighthouse is made of sandstone which is somewhat weathered, although this is made harder to assess by the deliberately distressed appearance of the dressed stone. This is above the HWM of Hawes Pier, which is built like a slipway and slopes down into the sea. It is protected from the sea by the pier itself, which still appears fairly strong.
Although almost hidden from front and back by other buildings (all of which are in use, including the old and new RNLI stations), it is visible from either side and is seen by many who use or visit the pier. It is next to the most popular parking area for visitors to South Queensferry, and at all times of year this can be a busy area. The outside is always open to access, although the interior is closed.