|This Maes Howe type chambered cairn forms a prominent feature on the low-lying peninsula of Els Ness. It was investigated by Farrer and Petrie in the 1860's with subsequent salvage excavations carried out by Childe in the 1950's. The cairn measures 20.5m by 17m and stands on an artificial platform. A 9m entrance passage leads into the central chamber. This stands 4m high and has six symmetrically-arranged side cells opening off of it. Sherds of Neolithic pottery, animal bone and stone implements were uncovered, along with a quantity of human remains. The tomb has been consolidated and partially restored and is open to the public under guardianship protection. Ref.: Farrer, J (1870) 'Note of excavations in Sanday...', PSAS, 7 (1866-8), 398-401; RCAHMS (1946) #449; Childe, V G (1954) 'Re-excavation of the chambered cairn of Quoyness, Sanday on behalf of MoW in 1951-2' in PSAS, 86 (1951-2), 121-39; RCAHMS (1980) #3; Davidson, J L & Henshall A S (1989) 'The chambered cairns of Orkney', #44.